Sunday, January 9, 2011

Mom, its SNOWING!!!


Here in Mississippi we are blessed that usually snow is a highlighted event in our lives. Our memories of snow are those of snowball fights, small snowmen, bowls of snow cream, snow angels, and days out of school. We don't usually deal with shoveling the white flakes of joy because we rarely get that much coverage. I mean really, we have to have several days of cold weather to "freeze the ground" before the glittering flakes will even stick and stay past a few short hours. But this week it happened - we had frost with a fog that hovered over it one day and as anyone over the age of 65 knows, that means SNOW. If that fact were not enough for you, then maybe this will change your doubting mind - the snow is coming from TEXAS! That should do it, I mean what other scientific information do you need. If the weather front moves up and over Texas then Mississippi WILL be covered in a winter blanket for several days. Schools have already canceled classes because, let's face it, even us mean, old school teachers enjoy a good bowl of snow cream. The boys are all excited and have been out in their PAJAMAS to make the first snowball of the season. Jake is excited because he remembers the snows of Ukraine and not only does this bring back pleasant memories of the beautiful Ukrainian hills covered in snow, but he knows it will not last near as LONG! So let me set the scene for you... Jerry goes to the back door, swings it open and snow gently blows in the door, Jake yells for Jon to come and see. Jake, dressed in shorts and a t-shirt, runs outside with my phone to video the snow falling in the back lights for Abby to see when we travel. Jon bounds up the stairs in his pajama pants and no shirt or shoes and out he goes. Jerry with house shoes on and "warm up pants" (don't ask what he is warming up for because I don't know, nor to I want to know) his t-shirt and camo cap head out to see how much snow is falling. I haven't showed him windows yet because I am afraid he might escape. The boys are running in and out and in and out to warm their naked feet and happily yelling "MOM, LOOK, MOM CAN YOU SEE IT, LOOK IT IS SNOWING!!!" That is when it really hits me - Abby has never seen snow. She has no idea what snow is or what to do. I am kind of concerned that when she watches the video she STILL will not know what to do. According to our video you should be partially naked, shoe-less and yell a lot. So many people have totally supported us with our adoption of older children, but some have questioned our decision because they aren't babies and we would miss so many of those "first" moments. Like their first tooth, or word and such. To be honest, that is something I often think about... mainly I wonder what it was like and wished I could have those moments to share with them to bring us together with memories. That is when I realized one of the small blessings that we would have with Abby, we would have a "first snow" with her! Now, I like being just a little different... and having a different set of "firsts" is right up my alley. The first time she gets a kiss from us, the first time she visits McDonalds, the first time she sees her brothers, the first time she sleeps in her room, the first time she sees her room... so many things that are "firsts" that will be awesome to see and take in and absorb. Then to have an older child that can one day remember these "firsts" and share her thoughts and feelings with us - it is a special blessing! So I say bring on the snow and memories, and the family and the love! Happy snow cream to you and yours!

3 comments:

  1. I so love you! No snow here, just sleet... my kids would love to see it ;0 Praying and thinking of you as you get ready to go... can't wait till you get back b/c I NEED to see you and we are GOING to get it done! I love you, did I say that already!? KEEP POSTING WE ARE WATCHING!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your posts - they always make me smile. I wish I could get so excited about snow, but up here in Ohio we see it all.the.time. I like it for Christmas, but after that it can just all go away. I'm ready for spring! Hoping all goes well for you as you prepare to meet your little girl - blessings! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have been playing in the snow too...fun day!!!

    Much love,
    Future Mama
    http://expectingablessing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete